Saturday, December 02, 2006

Kerstmarkt/Marche de Noel and St. Nicholas

Today I went to my first ever bona fide Christmas market in Europe. I have never managed to be on the continent in December, so I wasted no time in scoping out the territory on this, the second day of December. The market has a cozy atmosphere with plenty of stalls, but I'll have to say that the food and drink is the major draw. Piles of steaming lunchtime fillers (escargots, champignons, and good old potatoes), waffles, crepes, candy apples, sausages, cheese, and hot wraps were available. Then of course there is all the mulled wine, which I did not try today but plan to try at a later date. Everything smelled delectable. Beyond the stalls there are two carousels, an ice skating rink, and a ferris wheel. (I was a bit startled, as I munched on my white chocolate-covered apple, at how quickly the wheel rotated.) Overall, a fun place, although it lacks the myriads of homemade crafts that I remember seeing in the Prague Easter market.

Then we went to the Grand' Place to see what Christmas-y type things were going on there, and happened upon Ol' St. Nick and his helper Black Pete:

Actually, there seemed to be many Black Petes, and they were all 20-something white men with their hands and faces painted black. Was Black Pete the devil made St. Nicholas' slave? An African slave that he bought out of bondage? Or just one of his helpers that acquires soot after jumping through chimneys and delivering presents? Who knows. In any case, the Dutch tradition is that St. Nicholas and his helpers arrive in each town and greet the residents and throw candy to the children. This St. Nick was particularly quiet, and, in keeping with his character, purposely sought out small children to give sweets to. I rather liked his reserved, stately demeanor. I've seen a lot of obnoxious Santas in my lifetime.

Speaking of Santa, the Belgians accuse Coca-Cola of "inventing Santa Claus." I don't know how to confirm that claim. Does anyone else?

3 comments:

Heiders said...

Yes, I like the idea of the reserved Santa Claus as well. He seems more deserving of respect and father-like, much like C.S. Lewis's Father Christmas.

I remember something like Black Pete on the ship, but it seems like it was the Dutch celebrating it. Does that sound right?

Anna said...

Yes, it is a strong Dutch tradition, and they celebrate the supposed birthday of St. Nicholas on December 6th, which they call "Sinterklaas," which "Santa Claus" is an Americo-Dutch mispronunciation of. I don't remember it from the ship.

Heiders said...

Oh, duh, you mention that it is Dutch right in your blog post. I remember seeing this going on in the Med Lounge, only there was no procession, just people sitting around St. Nicholas and Black Pete while they handed out candy.