Friday, March 30, 2007

Apparently I'm a "reliable guardian."

I'm taking off my "activist" hat now and replacing it with my "self-analytical" one. Over the last couple of days the Well team has gone through a gifts assessment using Myers-Briggs, Gallup StrengthsFinder, Leadership Matrix, and Character Matrix. In sum, these were my results:

ISTJ - Introversion (clear), Sensing (moderate), Thinking (moderate), Judging (moderate)
StrengthsFinder Signature Themes (in ranking order): Intellection, Connectedness, Analytical, Input, Harmony
Leadership Style: Missional - meaning I lead best when I am doing work and organizing things
Character Trait: Courage - with the caution of falling into a sense of pride (thinking too lowly or highly of myself)

When my colleague noticed that my introversion measurement was nearly at the end of the chart (out of 30, I got a 24), her response was, "Ohhh, I'm fascinated by you!" And when someone tried to explain that he thought I might be more of a "passional leader," I explained that my sense of urgency and drive towards my goals often emerge out of a feeling of duty rather than a feeling of compassion, which resonated with other folks in the room who were struggling with placing themselves in a category. In fact, I struggled to avoid "boxing" myself throughout all of the exercises.

However, this process did solidify and reinforce that I am primarily introverted, introspective, and find hanging out in large groups of people exhausting rather than enlivening. What else is new? :-)

I'm off Sunday to Slovakia and Hungary for Easter vacation. It's supposed to be lovely and springy next week. As we're flying in and out of Amsterdam, we'll also sneak in a few sights there. I'll post pictures upon my return.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna! Thought you might like this: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch. It's called "Caring for your Introvert." Made me laugh... a lot. : )

Congratulations, by the way!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Linnea said...

I don't think introverts and more fascinating than extroverts. Most people seem to interpret introverts as people who spend a lot of time thinking and don't say much, but I really don't think that's true. Here's the thing, the difference between extroverts and introverts is that introverts "recharge" by being alone and extroverts "recharge" by being with people. That doesn't mean extroverts are shallower, which is usually how it's interpreted. I feel like society is much harder on extroverts, but that could just be the circles I'm in, also the fact that I am an extrovert and I feel accused of being shallow because I don't like to be by myself very much.

Laura said...

my first sentence was intended to be a bit self-congratulating. i didn't mean to say that introverts are MORE fascinating than extroverts, cuz i don't think they are either. my second sentence derives from my own experience, much as your comment does. my whole life i've felt somewhat marginalized because i don't like hanging out in big groups or mingling or partying, although i suppose that's because i'm naturally introverted, antisocial, AND shy. i realize that not all introverts are antisocial and shy.

Anna said...

Good caveats, Linnea, but I would have to agree with Laura on this one in terms of who society is friendlier to. While extroverts may experience condescension from introverts, that is about all they'll get because introverts won't usually express their displeasure. However, I can't count how many times I've been told by extroverts "you're awfully quiet" or "i'm going to get you out of your shell" or "come on, anna, give us a smile!" Arrgghh. Now I feel I have the scientific muster to back up my abnormal personality. Hooray.

Also, remember to dovetail my introvertedness with my "intellection" from the StrengthsFinder test, which shows that I like to think a lot without saying much. Extroverts think mostly through talking out loud, whereas introvert-intellects think through writing, research, art, etc. I wish I was more extroverted so I could express my thoughts more fluidly through public speech and conversation, but that is something I have to work extremely hard at. You, Linnea, are a gifted writer AND speaker, which I envy.

I would highly recommend you read the article that Jenni linked to. It spells out the introvert's plot so wittily and well. I like this line about introverts: "a minority in the regular population but a majority in the gifted population." Enter Dickinson, Thoreau, and a myriad of others. Woohoo.

Heiders said...

Yes, I've gotten the "I'm going to take you out of your shell" line many times. I remember Mystery Date freshman year, when my roommates told me afterwards that they had been considering this one guy for my date, but they decided against him because he was too quiet and "wouldn't take me out of my shell." As if one night of Mystery Dating could reverse an entire lifetime of shell-dwelling!

Also, in regards to the smiling, I recall many times where I would just be sitting on my bed studying and someone would walk in and ask me if I was OK. Apparently my normal visage is angry-looking - we now call it the "Kaufmann frown."

Unknown said...

Here's some food for thought .. . . since thinking seems to be what all you intros are good at . . . On several occasions in the past 25 years I have taken the intro/extro test with other school administrators/teachers. Without fail the odds are about 9/1, intro/extro. I am ALWAYS on the opposite side of the room from nearly everyone else, and always getting the silent treatment from the other side. The three of us extroverts are always laughing and poking and snorting and talking, mostly out of self-consciousness. This also happened to Grandma Belz, she and Uncle Andrew and I think Joel Button or someone were the few extroverts.
It helped me realize why introverts make such good teachers . . . they just go in their room, teach well because they are well-prepared, and as long as they're in their space, they are fantastic. Oh, but bring them out to a pep rally with STUCO in charge??? Whoooooooa.