Sunday, November 19, 2006

Yo La Crazy

Went to see Yo La Tengo last night at the Ancienne Belgique. They're one of my favorite bands. Now when I say "favorite," I don't mean that I actually know their names or own all of their albums. I'm not an aficionado of any band, really. It just means that I own more than one album and have always liked their sound.

They started off with a bang and during the first half played a couple of songs that I recognized, namely, "Tears are in Your Eyes" and "Autumn Sweater." Somewhere in the middle of the show, they went cray-zay. They began to layer sound upon sound until it became a twenty-minute-long vibrating wave through our bodies. It was too much, really. It was not the soft, cool YLT that I have known in years past. They rounded off the evening with a couple of cute tracks as cool-downs but that was not enough to salvage my ear drums. I was glad I went but I don't think I'll be going to see them again anytime soon.

All day my heart was heavy with missing the wedding of Mary Catherine and Jon and all the surrounding festivities. But I've gotten short updates from the sisters, and L and I sent in a short "video update," so I feel as though I participated a bit.

Thanksgiving is this week, and I'm making sweet potatoes with bacon vinaigrette, green beans with ginger butter, and good ole pumpkin pie. We're meeting up with some Americans here for an evening feast. Won't be like home, but I am still looking forward to it.




No comments: